As a homeowner, deciding between professional tree services and taking care of your own yard can be tricky.
On one hand, you may feel plenty confident lining up your hedges on a Saturday morning. On the other, knocking down a whole tree is clearly the realm of the pros.
For all of those tree pruning services in between? That can be a tougher call.
As one of Maryland’s leading providers of professional tree services, we are more than happy to help with tree removals, storm damage cleanup, stump grinding, and the like. At the same time, we also want you to feel comfortable taking care of the smaller tasks around the yard.
If you’re not sure if you need to give us a call, no worries. In the article below, we’re outlining a few situations where DIY tree pruning is a fine idea, when you should consider calling in the pros, and why.
Four Scenarios When DIY Tree Pruning Works
The sun’s out, spring is warming up, and you want to grab the clippers from the toolshed and get to work.
We get it – enjoying the outdoors while also taking care of your home can be one of the most rewarding parts of being a homeowner.
To that end, if you’re dealing with any of the following situations, feel free to try handling it yourself:
- Pruning small branches – For small branches that can be easily removed with pruning shears or a saw, there’s no need to call in the professional team. If these branches happen to be higher up in the tree, just make sure you have a way to keep balanced and safe.
- Shaping young trees – Are your young trees sprouting up fast? DIY pruning can be effective for shaping them while they’re still sprightly. You can do this yourself by removing small branches and creating a desirable shape for the tree as it grows.
- Removing dead or damaged branches – These sickly branches can pose a safety hazard as well as threaten the health of the tree. If you can reach them with relative ease (no tricky balancing acts atop ladders!), then go ahead and DIY this one.
- Routine maintenance – If you’re just taking care of regular landscaping situations, like removing low-hanging branches or shaping the tree’s canopy to promote a healthy growth, there’s no need to call in the pros.
Four Reasons Why DIY Tree Maintenance May Not Be Worth it
The above reasons are well and good, but they are also fairly specific. For bigger jobs, there are some concerns we like to raise against DIY tree pruning.
- Lack of training – Despite watching a YouTube video or two, many homeowners still lack the training and knowledge necessary to safely and effectively prune trees. Improper pruning can damage the tree’s health and appearance, and may even lead to the death of the tree.
- Risk of injury – DIY tree pruning can be dangerous, especially for inexperienced homeowners who are using unfamiliar equipment or climbing ladders. Falls from trees or ladder accidents can result in serious injury. If reaching the branches you’re trying to prune have you feeling the least bit unsafe, it’s best to head back down the ladder and call BCTS about our professional tree services.
- Questionable cost savings – Some homeowners think of DIY as the ultimate cost-saver. Since they didn’t have to call in the pros, they’re already saving money. Yet there are other costs, too, like renting or purchasing equipment. Plus, if the tree ends up damaged, there’ll be costs to replace it, too. Sometimes spending up front can be the most cost-effective plan.
- Lack of equipment – While certain gear can be purchased – most notably saws and shears – other more specialized gear just doesn’t make sense for homeowners, like climbing gear or chainsaws. Professional tree pruning companies have access to the necessary equipment and can ensure that the job is done safely and effectively – while keeping your garage free of gear you’ll only use once a decade.
Call Us To Learn More About Our Professional Tree Services
Whenever possible, we encourage homeowners to get out and about in their yards and get involved with their landscaping. At the same time, it’s important to know the limits of DIY tree pruning and when to opt for professional tree services.
If you’re looking for help with ornamental pruning, tree trimming, or tree removal, we would be happy to help. When you’re ready, head here to get in touch with the team at Beautiful Country Tree Services.